Sunday, May 4, 2008

HGTV Supports Home Staging as the TOP Action Item for Sellers!


I found it very validating when HGTV devoted a show to the Top 25 Mistakes Sellers Make - and at the top of the list was not Staging. This tells me that after 36 years of building the industry, we are finally at the place where the media "gets it."


Interestingly, the 25th mistake Sellers make was putting too much stuff in their house - and overdecorating. That goes right along with what I have been taught by my mentor, Barb Schwarz, the Creator of Home Staging. She wast the first to point out that Staging is depersonalizing and Decorating is personalizing. The goals of each service are totally different.


When I am helping decorate a house, I am considering the likes and tastes of the home owner. I will use things they like, whether or not I personally think they are tasteful or along current trends.


When I am Staging for Sale - I consider the BUYER only. My job is to help sell the house - and so I have to consider what a buyer would want and expect to see in a house - and since we don't know anything about a buyer's background (race, religion, age, kids or not, etc.) the house has to appeal to a very broad spectrum of people. This means it has to be broadly appealing, with colors that are neutral and along current trends, and depersonalized of any of the sellers' items that would make a buyer possibly feel uncomfortable.


So - I say "Great Job!" to HGTV! Finally - what I do for a living for the past 6 years is getting the recognition and understanding that it deserves. What I know is that a Staged House is a Sold House - in any market! It's the one the buyers connect with emotionally - and it is the one that is prepared for the buyer to move right in.


For more information on how you can properly have your house Staged for sale, contact the experts at We Stage Sacramento and let us come up with a detailed Staging Plan for you!

No comments: